Monday, February 21, 2011

Blueberry Muffins - not from a box

****MUFFIN UPDATE****
Eric loved them!
I would recommend that you warm them up and add a little smear of butter :)




I decided to make homemade blueberry muffins last night for Eric.
Come.
Follow me on my muffin journey.


The Players:
3 cups (minus 2 tbsp) flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
Heavy pinch of salt
Dash of Nutmeg

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 generous cup plain yogurt
Vanilla extract (about 1 tsp)

2 cups fresh blueberries

Step 1. Gather your ingredients. I bought the smallest container of yogurt I could find because we do not normally eat yogurt in this house and I didn't want to feel bad about throwing away any extra. Note that the size pictured above is not quite enough for a generous cup. So you should probably get the larger size. And eat the leftover. I hear its good for you.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.

Use a whisk to mix your dry ingredients. Try to break up all the clumps of baking powder. What? Your baking powder doesn't clump? Well...have you had it for 3 years? Come back and talk to me when you have.

In a separate, larger bowl combine your sugar, oil, egg and vanilla. This recipe called for a capful of Vanilla - which I thought was kind of weird because they don't know how big my cap is. I have a big cap. I'm not bragging....I just do. I'd say I used about a teaspoon.

Egg.

Banilla.

Then you need to whisk them together at light speed.

Then add the dry mixture. Don't overmix your batter, you want it to be lumpy. I think that I ended up using too much flour and too little yogurt because my batter was super thick and sticky. I added about 1/4 cup of milk to help with consistency.

Next up, add the grapes. Just kidding....blueberries. Almost gotcha.

And mix.

See how thick my batter is?? The poor spoon is standing up all by itself. The site where I originally saw this recipe had lovely, scoopable batter. I think mine would have been better with more yogurt.

Into the 385 degree oven for approx 20-25 minutes. I did 22.

Aaaaaand voila!

Beautiful blueberry muffins from scratch! I will have to let you know how they taste once Eric gets home. I don't eat blueberry muffins. :)

Love,
Plain Nicole

5 comments:

  1. dear plain nicole, In PA school who would have known you had such hidden talents among all of your other wonderful ones that we knew about. mrs. m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these muffins....cannot wait to try some next trip to Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm, those were good! So... let me understand this. You make things, I eat them, and then you write about it? I think I like this blog.

    Love,
    Loving Husband

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I like this idea! Eric - you've got it good. :) Way to go Colie - so proud of you for trying new things! I am enjoying hearing all about it, and laughing as I read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look so much better than the boxed -- I love your comments!

    ReplyDelete